The Olympia School (now called Apollo School), was built in 1924. Whether it was built as an office for the Olympia Improvement Company, a town hall, or a schoolhouse is open to debate, but historical sources indicate its intended use when it was built was as a schoolhouse.
Its mission architecture style was favored by Maurice Fatio, an architect in the Mizner genre who was employed by the Olympia Improvement Company and spent quite a lot of time in Olympia (as Hobe Sound was briefly known) and on Jupiter Island, where he built several homes, oversaw the building of the schoolhouse.
The building was used from 1925 until 1962/63 as a schoolhouse, when it simply could no longer handle the growing population of Hobe Sound's children. After that for several years it housed the thrift shop that supported the Hobe Sound First Aid Squad. And then it slipped into disrepair.
In 2000, the Apollo School Foundation purchased the building to rehabilitate it and open it for use as a historical museum and cultural arts and educational facility. In 2002, the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is the only building in Hobe Sound to be so named.
Rehabilitation of the building has been supported by private and public donations. The architect is Gary Kelly of Kelly & Kelly, Architects, and the work is being overseen by James Tharp of J. Tharp Construction, Corp. and Faye Carter of Carter Construction, Inc.
The Apollo School Foundation is committed to maintaining the historical aspects of the former two-room schoolhouse and enhancing its impact on Hobe Sound and Martin County as a cultural arts and educational facility by providing, "a window on the past, a focus on the future".
The historic, iconic Apollo School will continue to be a community-minded, historic landmark in Martin County that offers a distinctive view of the past and a focus on the future with cultural, educational and historical offerings to the people of Hobe Sound and Martin County.
Board of Directors
The Apollo School Foundation is governed by a board of directors led by Kathy Spurgeon, President; Phyllis Parker, Vice President; Peggy Wagner, Secretary; and Suellen Millroy, Treasurer. Members of the board include Mary Cox, Sue Diamond Martin, Cindy Fucigna, Jared Gaylord, Marc Gaylord, Pat Graham, Merriam Holt, June Overholt and Russ Overholt.
Special thanks to:
•The Board of Directors, Apollo School Foundation, Inc.
•Contributors and supporters
•PGT Industries for the windows
•The Rotary Club
•The State of Florida, Bureau of Historic Preservation
•Local vendors who contribute their expertise, time, talents, and donated items
•Building team, led by Architect Gary Kelly, Contractors James Tharp and Faye Carter, and Project Manager Bob Steiner